Last night Ryan and I cooked up a storm. I found a delicious recipe on one of my favorite blogs and just had to make it. We made tomato soup with ham and cheese paninis.
Neither of us have a panini maker so we used the George Forman Grill. Worked great!
We did for-go the basil in the soup and the spinach (Ryan isn’t the biggest fan of either) in the panini but otherwise followed the directions below.
The camera on my phone does not do this meal justice. It was so good! I’m keeping this recipe and plan to make it all the time! So quick and easy!
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook Time: Soup, 10 minutes
Panini, 5 minutes Serves: 4-6 people
Tomato Basil Soup
12 ounces tomato sauce
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 cup heavy cream or whole milk
salt & pepper to taste
Chopped Fresh Basil
1. Combine tomato sauce, chicken broth, tomato paste in a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
2. Lower heat, add cream, and cook 5 more minutes but do not bring to a boil.
3. Remove from heat and garnish with fresh basil
Ham Panini with Mozzarella and Provolone
8 slices crusty bread
4 slices of mozzarella chese
4 slices of provolone cheese
1 cup fresh spinach
8 slices ham
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. On one side of bread put a slice of mozzarella. Top the mozzarella with fresh spinach. The next layer will be ham and a bit more salt & pepper and lastly the provolone.
2. Close up the sandwich and brush with some of the olive oil on each side of the bread (this will aid in browning).
3. Grill in a preheated panini maker until the cheese begins to melt and the bread is toasted. Remove. Let sit for a few minutes.
4. If you don’t have a panini maker, you will place the sandwiches in a heated frying pan. Top with another heavy skillet or a heat proof plate to press the sandwiches together. Cook until crisp, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
In other news: Bailey the puppy went to her first day of Doggie Day Care. She was nervous at first but by watching the live video stream from the day care it looks like she is having a blast! I hope we pick up a very tired dog after work!