It was a busy, busy weekend!
Friday night we headed to Lucky Strike for some bowling.
We had so much fun and I really want to go back there again! How cool is that lamp?!
Everything about the place was cool. Atmosphere, music… I ordered an appetizer and it was really good, so I assume the dinner menu is good too.
We went with our friends from college, Amanda and Marc. I’m pretty sure they had a great time too.
Saturday Ryan and I just relaxed and played with Bailey. We went out to dinner at an Italian place by his apartment which was excellent. I really wanted good pasta before my 18 mile race and this place did just that. I was too busy eating to take any pictures…
Sunday morning came very fast and I was up at 5am. Eating toast and ready to go. For this race I tried out my Portland Marathon outfit – with rain gear if needed.
I look pretty dorky in this picture… I also used gels/GU in this race and I must say. They worked a lot better! The race went really well. I tried to keep my pace around 9:30 in the beginning and gradually sped up. I stopped at almost all the water stations and had three gels. The race was three of the 6 mile loops. That means I ran the Harlem Hill, or what I call DEATH MOUNTAIN three times!!! Three times!!!
My overall time was 2:44:02 – pace of 9:07!! I’m very happy with that!
This morning I hit the gym for my recovery session – 35 minutes on the elliptical and lots of stretching. My legs are feeling pretty good compared to the other long runs I’ve done in the past.
Filed under 5am, BF, Busy, Death Mountain, Friends, Happy, Life, Long run, Pace, Portland Marathon, Puppy, Races, Rain, recovery session, Relaxing, Tired Legs, Training, Weekend
This morning our office received the magazine Northwest Runner. I always flip through it because it reminds me of home. In this month’s issue there is an article for first time marathoners! Perfect for me! With a little over a month left in training I need all the help and information I can get.
Below are some of the strategies they talked about in order to have a successful first marathon race:
1. HYDRATE – The article was adamant about this. Drink water all the time! Not just during and after your runs. Everyday! I’ve been really good at doing this. I goal myself four to six 16 ounce water bottles a day.
2. DEVELOP A FUELING PLAN – Check! I love me some GU Chomps! My last long run my energy did dip at the end and I think the cause of this was not eating enough of the Chomps throughout my run.
3. PLAN A PRE-EVENT BREAKFAST – Honestly, I haven’t really thought about this very much… Not good. The past two long runs I’ve eaten oatmeal beforehand and I didn’t feel sick and it gave me enough energy. So I guess I’ll keep that up.
4. FOCUS OF INJURY PREVENTION – The article stressed that with higher mileage comes a higher chance of injury. This is the last thing I want to happen. The article said that if you need an extra rest day take it. One more day off is a lot better than missing the marathon you have been training for! Hurricane Irene helped me with many days off 🙂
5. FUEL FOR RECOVERY – Though I do eat through my days now that I’m running all the time, I know I can do better with my choices of what I eat. Pasta every night for dinner isn’t going to cut it. I need to add more fruits and vegetables!
6. RESEARCH RACE DAY – I guess I need to do this? I lived in Oregon and have driven on all the roads we’re running on so I’m not too worried about this. The article does say to find out what energy gels and drinks the race will have but I think I’m just going to bring my own to be safe.
I hope this helped you all! I know is really helped me and got me even more excited about the Portland Marathon!
PS – Went to spin class this morning! Love it! Love it! Love it! Four mile run tonight!
Since I don’t have internet in my apartment yet I can’t blog on the weekends. So today’s blog is all about Friday, Saturday AND Sunday. I know. Woah three days. This is going to be a long post, right?! Not really… I didn’t do that much.
Friday – Friday I had a lovely little evening after work. I got my haircut. I love it. Got sushi, went to The Running Company for more GU Chomps and two pairs of shorts that I can use for both running and spin class and I went to Borders. Borders was really sad… The store in the Time Warner building is closing and it just looks so depressing. I did get really great deals on some books though. But still, super sad.
I got a bunch of layers and had the ends trimmed.
I love it… What do you think???
Saturday – LONG RUN DAY. I did not start until about 11am. Bad idea. It was hot outside. I got a little sunburn on my back… I ran 17 miles. Warm up and warm down was my last mile making a total of 18 miles. After that my legs were shot. Oh, and people were looking at me all weird again when I was walking home. YES. I know my face is super red. Thanks. You know, in Central Park I look pretty normal with all the other runners… But once I step outside of the park I look like a crazy person wearing spandex. I’m surprised a tourist didn’t snap a photo of me. Labeled – Crazy spandex lady. I did a lot of workouts last week, including my first spin class and I think my legs were mad at me. Saturday night I watched The Social Network. That’s about it. After running 17+ miles what more do you want from me?
Sunday – Went to the gym for a little recovery session. (Wearing my compression socks all night really helped my legs feel better on Sunday!) 30 minutes on the elliptical. I can’t remember the last time I used that machine. It was nice and my legs felt good. I then got coffee with a friend and we walked around my new neighborhood 🙂 And I painted one of the walls in our living room. It’s pretty.
I slept a lot this weekend and it was great.
Today – This morning I went to 6am spin class. I’m addicted yes. It’s so fun and the music is awesome! I’m really feeling it in my legs though. Like woah. Sore. Tonight I’m hanging out with Ryan (boyfriend). He was on a guys trip for five days going to various baseball games. (I’m glad I wasn’t invited) I’m excited to see him! (I wonder if he got me a present…)
Have you ever taken a spin class??? Did you love it? hate it? Get addicted like me???
Filed under BF, Busy, Central Park, Coffee, Compression Socks, Crazy spandex lady, Friends, Long run, Ramblings and Thoughts, recovery session, Relaxing, Shopping, Spin Class, Sun!, Sushi, The Running Company, Tired Legs, Training, TV, Weekend